Pieris 'Forest Flame'

Miscellaneous

Moderator: Moderator Team

Pieris 'Forest Flame'

Postby filynne » 13 Oct 2009 11:58

Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie, and a very new gardner. In my garden I have a Pieris Forest Flame which is very straggly. Now that the colour has gone would it be a good time to prune it?

How do I do it? Our soil is very heavy clay, but the plant seems to be doing okay apart from growing wildly in all directions.

I love the colour of this plant and don't want to damage it.
filynne
Clean Hands

Postby gardening_guru » 14 Oct 2009 18:39

Hello,

I don't think I would prune a Pieris now. If you do, it will encourage new growths that will be damaged by frost. Best to prune in late spring when the bright red young shoots have matured and lost their colour.

By the way, how big is this plant? Pieris are best treated like Rhododendrons and other plants that prefer acidic soil. If the plant is not too big, it would probably be happier in a pot of ericaceous compost
George aka The Gardening Guru
gardening_guru
Site Admin

Pruning Pieris

Postby filynne » 14 Oct 2009 22:36

Thanks for the reply.

I'm afraid it's too big for a pot plant.

Should I cut it hard back in the Spring, or just give it a 'short back and sides'?

I'll try to get a Ph kit to test the soil for acidity and recitfy it if it needs it.
What should the Ph be?
filynne
Clean Hands

Postby gardening_guru » 20 Oct 2009 18:22

Hello,

I would not prune a Pieris too hard, late spring as suggested, cut back a bit each year if the plant is too big. Cut back to just above healthy pairs of leaves. I would not leave leafless stems, always leave some healthy leaves. A 'trim' each year is what I am suggesting. Ideal pH for ericaceous plants is 5 or 6.
George aka The Gardening Guru
gardening_guru
Site Admin

Return to Miscellaneous