Yucca leaf tip damage and wilting

Indoor and house plants

Moderator: Moderator Team

Yucca leaf tip damage and wilting

Postby Stu » 16 Sep 2009 07:24

Bought a tiny Yucca 3 years ago and repotted it directly into 6" pot where it remains. It has grown to 3 ft and continues to have healthy new growth.
However, for last 3 months lower leaves have wilted somewhat and lower leaf tips are brown with yellow halo. Following earlier advice elsewhere I clipped the dead leaf tips and reduced watering to a cup of water every 3 weeks. I have given it feed every couple of months.

The clipped leaves have developed new brown tips and they are wilting more than ever, and further up the plan. Good light conditions, constant throughout. How can I reverse this. Any ideas, please ? Should I repot again?
Stu
Gardening Gloves

Postby gardening_guru » 16 Sep 2009 17:35

Hi,

Yes, I would repot, I purchased a Yucca of similar size many years ago, I potted it on every year, it grow to 7ft tall!
I put a photo of the plant in our plant database, it was growing in my conservatory at the time.
see http://www.plantadvice.co.uk/plant/2/
I watered it regularly (it drunk like a fish) I did restrict the watering but only in the winter months when growth slowed down significantly. I think one of two things could be causing the browning of the leaf tips, either lack of water or low air humidity. The latter can be resolved by standing the pot on a saucer of pebbles that you keep damp with watering.

By the way, I would pull off any poorly leaves right off, right back to the trunk.
George aka The Gardening Guru
gardening_guru
Site Admin

Postby Stu » 17 Sep 2009 06:45

Thank you for your prompt and very helpful reply. Repotting this weekend ! Yes, the air humidity could well be low in the room, one of these modern (virtually) hermetically sealed jobs, as window does not open.
Stu
Gardening Gloves

Return to Indoor Plants