Advice for the cheese plant and amarylis

Indoor and house plants

Moderator: Moderator Team

Advice for the cheese plant and amarylis

Postby Jenny » 27 Sep 2008 12:02

Hi I'm new on here and at the moment would like a little advice which I hope wont be difficult fr some of the experts clerly on this forum.

Firstly me large cheese pant has lots of very long trailing roots and I want to know if and how to prune them???

I also have a couple of lovely amarylis which have both flowered a number of times. For the last 6 months or so the are just producing very lovely big leaves. Do I need to stop watering them or cut the leaves bag or anything else to get them to flower again??

Thanks

Jen
Jenny
Clean Hands

Postby gardening_guru » 06 Oct 2008 12:44

Hello Jenny,

With the Cheese plant I think you mean the roots along the stem that would be used to help the plant to grip it's support (probably a tree) in it's native habitat.
If your cheese plant does not need those roots to support itself in your home then you can cut them off, best to use a sterile clean, sharp knife.

When you refer to your 'Amaryllis' I think you are refering to plants by the name Hippeastrum (Amaryllis is the common name) I'm quite surprised that you don't mention that the leaves died off at any point, I would have expected them to have done that as these plants do have a dormant period. They flower during the winter, do not cut those leaves off but do start feeding the plants now fortnightly with a balanced feedand keep in a room with plenty of sunlight.
George aka The Gardening Guru
gardening_guru
Site Admin

Postby Jenny » 06 Oct 2008 15:06

Many thanks for the advice. Very useful and interesting!! :D Will certainly put into practice ASAP...

Jen

ps Just re-read my original post and realised how awful my typing was back problems and lots of pain medication can be blamed.
Jenny
Clean Hands

Return to Indoor Plants