Storing & using grass seed

Lawn & turf management

Moderator: Moderator Team

Storing & using grass seed

Postby davek » 06 Oct 2010 17:04

Can anyone tell me please if grass seed 'goes off' over time, as I tried to repair patches with last years box of Levingtons Evergreen seed without success, so bought another, but this didn't take either.
I eventually bought a sealable pack from B&Q and this worked.
Was I just unlucky ?, maybe the second box of seed had been on the shelves for a while ?, but none of the boxes show a 'use by' date or storage advice.
Do other people store it for a while and use it later, does it keep longer in an air-tight box ?
Any help would be appreciated.
davek
Clean Hands

Postby gardening_guru » 09 Oct 2010 18:15

Hello,

Yes, the viability of grass seed does decrease over time. I would suggest that it is always best to use grass seed in the same year that it is purchased. It would be possbile to use it after a year, if it has been stored in a cool, dry area.
George aka The Gardening Guru
gardening_guru
Site Admin

Postby SFrost » 12 May 2011 08:49

You could also look here in used grass equipment category, if you need any equipment to help you in your grass/lawn maintenance. I recently asked question about a rideon mower, got one from here, and I am really happy with it.
SFrost
Gardening Gloves

Re: Storing & using grass seed

Postby jtay123 » 22 Mar 2012 20:41

Would agree with gardening_guru’s advice, and little rule of thumb is for grass seed stored overwinter is to increase the sowing rate by 25% this should take care of the dud seeds. But as you have mentioned an air tight box would help as long as the seed was dry when sealed.

This site has some good lawn care pages and at least gives full details on their seed mixes http://www.lawngrassseed.co.uk/
jtay123
Clean Hands

Re: Storing & using grass seed

Postby naomikaka » 15 Mar 2013 07:33

With artificial grass, your lawn will never be seeded.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Artificial Grass Miami
naomikaka
Muddy Fingers

Return to Lawns