Which Indoor Plant?

Indoor and house plants

Moderator: Moderator Team

Which Indoor Plant?

Postby thatboy » 07 Nov 2011 11:13

Dear Plant Advisors,

I need some help please!

I am doing some work with children with severe learning disabilties (SLD) and one of the projects is to get the children to look after indoor plants during the winter. First thing is we have a budget that needs to buy 12 plants so I was thinking about £4 to £8 max per plant. What plant should I get? It does not need to be a bulb but as long as the plant shows change i.e drops leaves or makes flowers?

Requirements:
- Indoor plant
- Easy to maintain but also that you can see change at least week to week. So potentially something that flowers

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Best,

Thatboy
thatboy
Clean Hands

Postby gardening_guru » 07 Nov 2011 21:07

Hello,

You might not like my idea, but I think it would be great fun for the children. How about a little indoor vegetable garden. The children could sow some carrot, beetroot, lettuce and spinach (these would not need pollination by insects) seeds in some large pots or troughs.

They could water them and and care for them before and after germination and then harvest and eat them when the crops are ready. You would need to refer to the seed packets for instructions, my only concern would be that the room where the children might be working could be too warm during the winter but you might be able to influence that factor maybe by growing them in a cooler room that the children could visit on a daily basis.
George aka The Gardening Guru
gardening_guru
Site Admin

Re:

Postby alyssaly » 20 Feb 2012 09:23

gardening_guru wrote:Hello,

You might not like my idea, but I think it would be great fun for the children. How about a little indoor vegetable garden. The children could sow some carrot, beetroot, lettuce and spinach (these would not need pollination by insects) seeds in some large pots or troughs.

They could water them and and care for them before and after germination and then harvest and eat them when the crops are ready. You would need to refer to the seed packets for instructions, my only concern would be that the room where the children might be working could be too warm during the winter but you might be able to influence that factor maybe by growing them in a cooler room that the children could visit on a daily basis.

Quite right!I agree with you!I used to plan to plant a tree when my child was born!He grew up with the tree together!When he would leave me someday,I can take care of the tree and miss him!
alyssaly
Clean Hands

Return to Indoor Plants