help - Advice on indoor plants please!

Indoor and house plants

Moderator: Moderator Team

help - Advice on indoor plants please!

Postby jules79 » 09 May 2010 11:15

hi there,

I'm new to this site and require some advice.

My father unexpectedly passed away a month ago, he was a keen gardener and also had many plants in his home. i have brought the plants home and would really like to care for them and ensure they grow and thrive. I have never been green fingered and would like to know how to look after them if someone could please help?

I can identify 1 plant which is a hyacinyth (Wrong spelling i know), they looked beautiful a while back but they have now died off, i believe they will flower again at some point? Do i cut down the stems etc that have died off? Do i need to water them? There are 3 large bulbs half in and half out of the soil, is that right? Where should i keep them, light? dark? cool? warm? or does it not matter? when can i expect them to flower again? Any advice would be gratefully received!

I will try and identify the other plants, once i know what they are i will post again!

Thank you!

Julie
jules79
Clean Hands

Postby gardening_guru » 09 May 2010 19:20

Hello,

Commen Hyacinth bulbs are usually specially grown by professional growers for sale in shops in the build up to Christmas, they are skillfully grown specifically to flower just in time for Christmas.

If they still have the old flowers on remove them with a sharp, clean pair of secateurs. While the leaves are still green continue to water and feed with a houseplant food. When the leaves have withered take the bulbs out of the compost and store them in a cool, dry place. The best thing to do then is to plant these bulbs out in the garden in the autumn and enjoy the flowers next spring.

If you want Hyacinth bulbs to flower again indoors in time for Christmas, buy some more that have been specially prepared by professional growers.
George aka The Gardening Guru
gardening_guru
Site Admin

Re: help - Advice on indoor plants please!

Postby TimonUlmer » 11 Sep 2012 08:15

If you want Hyacinth bulbs to flower again indoors in time for Christmas, buy some more that have been specially prepared by professional growers.
Standing Upon the Peak of All DVDs --- Game Of Thrones Season 2 DVD,Earth Shaking with this Movie
TimonUlmer
Clean Hands

Re: help - Advice on indoor plants please!

Postby naomikaka » 22 Nov 2012 01:06

Plant hyacinth bulbs in fall, 6 to 8 weeks before a hard frost is expected and when soils are below 60 degrees F. This is usually during September and October in the North, and October and November in the South. Prepare the garden bed by using a garden fork or tiller to loosen the soil to a depth of 12 to 15 inches, then mix in a 2- to 4-inch layer of compost. Dig a hole 6 to 8 inches deep. Set the bulb in the hole, pointy end up, then cover with soil and press firmly. Space bulbs 4 to 6 inches apart. Water thoroughly after planting.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Synthetic Lawn
naomikaka
Muddy Fingers

Return to Indoor Plants