Ficus Ginseng Advice

Indoor and house plants

Moderator: Moderator Team

Ficus Ginseng Advice

Postby murdo78 » 27 Dec 2009 08:59

Hello to all,

I am in need of some tips for caring for a Ficus Ginseng plant.

Let me start by saying that i am not green fingered, although i do my best. I have had the plant for around a month now and it's shedding leaves at around 4-5 per day and is beginning to look a bit sparse and thinned out when before it was very full. There are some beginnings of new shoots but i don't know if they were there before i took possession of it.

I've been keeping the plant opposite a window, about 3-4 metres away, where it does get some light but at this time of year with the low sun it is a lot less than during the summer months. I also work away from home and when i do the blinds remain shut.

I've been following the instructions on the care card and only watering every 2 weeks this time of year, around 1/2 a litre of tap water with about 10 drops of baby bio. I've also been trying to keep the temperature constant to allow the plant to settle.

I've read that when the Ficus is moved it reacts to changes in enviroment by losing leaves and hope this is just temporary but should anyone have any further information or experience i would appreciate the knowledge being shared.
murdo78
Clean Hands

Postby gardening_guru » 30 Dec 2009 12:12

Hello,

It sounds as if you have adopted the correct watering regime for the time of year. I think the gradual leaf loss probably has got something to do with the plant being moved to a new environment.

If you can work with the blinds open during the winter months that would be good; the Ficus needs as much light as possible especially during the winter months. I would suggest the room temperature needs to be about 60F. My primary concern however would be air humidity, if you can stand the pot on a large saucer/tray of pebbles that you keep damp this will increase the air humidity around the plant. If that is not an option, mist the foliage regularly.

Let me know if you start to see signs of improvement.
George aka The Gardening Guru
gardening_guru
Site Admin

Return to Indoor Plants