moving a lavatera tree

Shrubs and bushes

Moderator: Moderator Team

moving a lavatera tree

Postby potter » 03 Jul 2011 10:55

Hi,I planted a lavatera bush 2yrs ago it was a tiny thing.BUT it has grown huge,the best bit is I planted by my shed about a foot away from the door and this year it's massive I can hardly get in my shed now.I know I should have planted it somewhere else.duh.My question is will I have to wait till autum to replant it elsewhere and will i be able to do this without harming it.and how do I take shoots off it.It is a lovely plant and I dont want to harm it.thanks in advance from a very novice gardener.
potter
Clean Hands

Postby gardening_guru » 03 Jul 2011 19:56

Hi,

Yes, best to wait until the Lavatera is dormant before you try and move it. You will have to dig as deep as you can to try and avoid as much root damage as possible. Good idea to take some cuttings, they should root very easily. Not a good time now because I expect it is full of flower, you want non-flowering shoots. If you can find any non-flowering shoots, ideally cut 8-10cm lengths below leaf joints and firm them into pots and put them into a partially shaded coldframe.

In an ideal world you would take the cuttings next spring and move the plant in winter 2012 when you have plenty of new offspring established before you attempt to dig up the parent. Remember you can prune the plant to within a few inches of the ground in the spring if that helps.
George aka The Gardening Guru
gardening_guru
Site Admin

Postby potter » 04 Jul 2011 18:55

thank you very much I took some cuttings off it yesterday but I put them in water,I thought you had to put them in water for a couple of days them plant them.Ha don't know where I got the idea from.
Will try with some more thanks again.very much appreciated.
potter
Clean Hands

Return to Shrubs