Berberidopsis corallina

Climbing plants and creepers

Moderator: Moderator Team

Berberidopsis corallina

Postby terratoonie » 05 Aug 2008 09:04

A couple of years ago I bought a Berberidopsis corallina. I was aware it requires acid soil and part shade, but I didn't realise it was a plant which is sometimes listed as needing a very experienced skill level for growing.

This climber did well at first and then died over winter. I thought I was just unlucky so I purchased another, but this time I put a cutting from the plant into a pot. The main plant once again died, but the one in the pot, which is in my shed, has grown enthusiastically. This makes me think it would do well in a greenhouse or a conservatory, which I don't have. However websites describe the plant as hardy, so in theory I should be able to grow it outside in the right conditions.

I now don't know what to do with the cutting which is fast outgrowing the space it occupies in my shed. Shall I put it in a larger pot of ericaceous compost and grow it outside? If so, where shall I site it ? Should it avoid early morning sun ? Must it be protected from windy conditions ? Having two of these plants die over winter, I'm hesitant about putting this surviving one outdoors. I have other climbers doing well around my gardens, such as Trachelospermum jasminoides in several different places. Very confusing !

:? :? :?

Any advice gratefully received !
Gardening forever,
Housework whenever.
terratoonie
Clean Hands

Berberidopsis corallina

Postby terratoonie » 08 Aug 2008 18:06

Have I posted this question in the wrong place ?

As a newcomer to this site, I'm really disappointed not to have received any advice. :(

Is there anybody out there ? :o :lol:
Gardening forever,
Housework whenever.
terratoonie
Clean Hands

Postby gardening_guru » 16 Aug 2008 20:19

Hello,

Sorry for the delayed reply.

In my opinion Berberidopsis corallina is not fully hardy. I think it can withstand frost down to about -3C or -4C but no lower. We had much colder nights than that in Cambridgeshire last winter.

I think you will have to grow your young example in a pot and move it indoors at the first sign of frost. When outside, site the plant in a partially shaded site with some protection from strong winds.

Regards, George.
George aka The Gardening Guru
gardening_guru
Site Admin

Postby terratoonie » 16 Aug 2008 20:47

Thanks, George. That's useful and informative. :D

The young plant is having a great time in my shed, growing away merrily, but sadly with only the spiders there to admire it! :(

I think I'll let it grow a bit larger and enjoy being in the shed over the winter, and then I'll make some definite decisions about it next spring.

Yes, it would be happier living in milder climes, e.g. the West Country. Perhaps I might be happier there too !:)
Gardening forever,
Housework whenever.
terratoonie
Clean Hands

Return to Climbers